In this post, I will show you how to play PS3 games from external hard drive without jailbreak.
But, is this really possible?
Technically, there is no proven method of playing PS3 games from an external hard drive without jailbreak.
Meanwhile, you are only allowed to backup your internal HDD to the external one so that you have enough space to install the games. You are also allowed to play media files through an external drive while gaming.
Therefore, if you are not ready to jailbreak your PS3 to play the game from your external hard drive, then you should consider backing up the game on your internal HDD to the external one and then installing the one you wish to play on the internal. Otherwise, you go ahead to jailbreak.
This article will guide you on how to backup games to your external hard drive and then install the new one on the internal HDD. With this, you are not jailbreaking.
NOTE: This is only necessary if the reason you want to play from your external hard drive was because there wasn’t enough space in the internal HDD to install a new game.
So, let’s dive in;
How To Backup Your PS3 Game To The External Hard Drive
Since you can’t play PS3 games directly from your external hard drive, the first step to take is to back up your internal HDD to the external hard drive so that you can get them back whenever you want.
Follow the steps below to get started;
1. Convert the Hard Drive format to FAT32
For the External Hard Drive to work with PS3, you need to convert it to a FAT32. See how to do that below;
- Connect the Hard Drive to a PC a USB Cable
- Navigate to My Computer and right-click on it.
- Click on properties. Here you will see the file type, if it is FAT32, then you may skip this step. Otherwise, you format the drive. You may save backup the important data you need on the drive.
- Now press “Windows Key + R”, a dialogue box would be displayed.
- Type ‘cmd’ and press the enter key.
- Now type “format /FS:FAT32 X:” without the quotation marks and then replace the “X” with the name of the hard drive. You find the name of the hard drive ‘My Computer’
- Click Enter, Meanwhile, you should know that the process is irresponsible, so be sure of all details before proceeding.
- Wait for the process to complete.
- Go back to check the disk properties if the file type has changed to FAT32.
2. Create a GAME folder in the hard drive as well as other folders you which to access with your PS3.
You can go ahead to fill those folders except the GAME folder.
3. Connect the External Hard Drive to your PS3
After that go to Settings > System Settings > Backup Utility > Backup on your PS3 using the console pad. Then click on Confirm to completely backup your PS3 games to the external hard drive.
Install Your New Game To Your PS3
Now that you have backed up the old games to your external hard drive, you can go ahead to install and play the game of your choice on PS3 without jailbreak.
- Connect the PS3 to the internet. Go to Settings> Network Settings
- Scroll down to the PlayStation Store
- Sign in with your PSN login details to gain access to both free and paid games.
- Scroll down to games
- Select the game you wish to download and PS3 will guide you through the installation process
- Enjoy your gameplay.
How To Recover Your PS3 Games From Backup
In case you wish to reinstall your old games, follow the instructions below;
- Go to Game>Saved Data Utility on your PS3
- Select External Hard Drive and install the games you want to import.
- Click the triangle button on your pad to COPY. This will back up your games.
You cannot play ps3 games from an external hard drive without jailbreak. All you need to do is;
- Back up the internal HDD to an external
- Install the game, so that you have enough space.
Doing it this way will prevent you from jailbreaking.
So ensure you share this article with your colleagues who might be searching for ‘how to play ps3 games from an external hard drive without jailbreak’.